dimanche, septembre 29, 2019

‘I Basically Just Made It Up’: Confessions of a Social Constructionist (Christopher Dummitt, Quillette, Sept 17, 2019)

‘I Basically Just Made It Up’:
 Confessions of a Social Constructionist
by Christopher Dummitt (Quillette Sept 17, 2019)

If I had known, 20 years ago, that my side in the ideological wars over gender and sex was going to win so decisively, I would have been ecstatic. Back then, I spent many evenings at the pub or at dinner parties debating gender and identity with other graduate students; or, really, anyone who would listen—my mother-in-law, my relatives, or just a random person unlucky enough to be in my presence. I insisted that there was no such thing as sex. And I knew it. I just knew it. Because I was a gender historian. [...] And now my big idea is everywhere. It shows up especially in the talking points about trans rights, and policy regarding trans athletes in sports. It is being written into laws...
READ FULL ARTICLE
HERE 
____________________________