mercredi, mai 21, 2014

Demands for Darling to reveal contents of secret discussions with Treasury official


Demands for Darling to reveal contents of secret discussions with Treasury official
By Martin Kelly 21 MAY 2014 

Alistair Darling is tonight facing demands to reveal the content of "private discussions" he has had with Treasury Permanent Secretary Sir Nicholas MacPherson, on the issue of the independence referendum.

The Labour MP, who heads the anti-independence campaign Better Together, was appearing in front of Holyrood’s Economy Committee where he was questioned by MSP Joan McAlpine.

The former Chancellor was asked how many times he had met with Sir Nicholas.  The Labour MP replied: "Oh, I don’t know, maybe…I don’t know. I don’t want to give you an inaccurate answer."

Mr Darling confirmed he had several private conversations with Sir Nicholas but, despite being repeatedly asked, refused to reveal whether the currency of an independent Scotland was discussed.

"I discussed many things. I’m not going to go into private conversations, but in terms of what I’ve said to you, I’m not going to go into private discussions I have with him or anybody else for that matter. But, what I can tell you that is in relation to whatever advice he happened to give the current government, I’ve not discussed that, no." he said.

Ms McAlpine pressed the Labour MP: "I’m asking what he said to you. Did you discuss aspects of the independence referendum with your friend Nick Macpherson?"

Read full article
_________________________________