mercredi, décembre 08, 2010

Rop Tú Mo Baile

"Gealach air Fàire" (NASA)
Rop Tú Mo Baile (c. 1000 AD) 
(Original Irish of hymn "Be Thou my Vision")

1.
Rop tú mo baile,
    a Choimdiu cride;
ní ní nech aile
    acht Rí secht nime.
[Fill my horizon,
    Lord of love.
Still my eyes
    On the King above.]

2.
Rop tú mo scrútain
    i lló ’s i n-aidche;
rop tú ad-chear
    im chotlud caidche.
[Be my thought
    By day and night.
When eyelids shut,
    Yet stay in sight.]

3.
Rop tú mo labra,
    rop tú mo thuicsiu;
rop tussu damsa,
    rop misse duitsiu.
[Be my speech.
    Be my IQ.
You for me.
    I for You.]

4.
Rop tussu m’athair,
    rop mé do macsu;
rop tussu lemsa,
    rop misse latsu.
[Be my Father.
    I Your Son.
We together,
    Kith and kin.]

5.
Rop tú mo chathscíath,
    rop tú mo chlaideb;
rop tussu m’ordan,
    rop tussu m’airer.
[Be my battleshield.
    Be my sword.
Be my dignity.
    Be my reward.]

6.
Rop tú mo dítiu,
    rop tú mo daingen;
rop tú nom-thocba
    i n-áentaid n-aingel.
[Be my safehouse,
    My basecamp strong.
Be my air-lift
    With angel throng!]

7.
Rop tú cech maithius
    dom churp, dom anmain;
rop tú mo fhlaithius
    i nnim ’s i talmain.
[My body’s balm,
    My spirit’s health,
Be my regime
    In heaven and earth.]

8.
Rop tussu t’áenur
    sainserc mo chride;
ní rop nech aile
    acht Airdrí nime.
[Unto You alone 
   My heart shall cling.
None can dethrone
   Heaven’s High King.]

9.
Co talla forum,
    ré ndul it láma,
mo chuit, mo chotlud,
    ar méit do gráda.
[Before You request,
   Let me donate
My food, my rest -
   Your care is so great.]

10.
Rop tussu t’áenur
    m’urrann úais amra;
ní chuinngim daíne
    ná maíne marba.
[Of all I savour
   Be supreme -
Above intimate favour,
   Inanimate gleam.]

11.
Rop amlaid dínsiur
    cech sel, cech sáegul,
mar marb oc brénad,
    ar t’fégad t’áenur.
[Let me rue the day, 
   The lifetime too,
As a corpse in decay,
   If you’re not in view.]

12.
Do serc im anmain,
    do grád im chride,
tabair dam amlaid,
    a Rí secht nime.
[In my soul Your touch,
   In my heart Your love,
Bestow on me such,
   King of heaven above.]

13.
Tabair dam amlaid,
     a Rí secht nime,
do serc im anmain,
    do grád im chride.
[Bestow on me such,
   King of heaven above,
In my soul Your touch,
   In my heart Your love.]

14.
Go Rí na n-uile
    rís íar mbúaid léire;
ro béo i flaith nime
    i ngile gréine.
[With the King of All,
   Tour of duty done,
Under heaven’s rule,
   Under dazzling sun.]

15.
A Athair inmain,
    cluinte mo núallsa:
mithig (mo-núarán!)
    lasin trúagán trúagsa.
[Dear Father, please,
   (My SOS to You!) 
This wretch’s release 
   Is now overdue!]

16.
A Chríst mo chride,
    cip ed dom-aire,
a Flaith na n-uile,
    rop tú mo baile.
[Christ bless the days
   Which face me still
Lord of earth and skies,
   My horizon fill.]
(Trans. Fearghas MacFhionnlaigh)
_________________________________
AUDIO: "Rop Tú Mo Baile" labhartha le Dennis King